At Jo’s School we help vulnerable children achieve their dreams
We strive to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment to AIDS affected and vulnerable 3-6 year olds from the Vrygrond community. We want to empower these children to reach their fullest potential in becoming inspired, confident and thoughtful individuals. We strive to instil a love of learning that will continue into adulthood. We provide quality Montessori education that caters to each child’s individual needs and development stages. We encourage children to explore, create and engage in suitable activities that are available to them.
• Respect for self and respect for others – no matter how big or small
• Curiosity and determination
• Creativity and imagination
• Trustworthiness and integrity
• Kindness, consideration and a responsibility towards our environment and the individuals in it
• Safety and security in our environment
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Inclusion of diverse perspectives and beliefs
ELF's mission statement
Our commitment is to the young child. We believe that to put the young child first, we need to increase the capacity of individuals, communities and organisations to provide quality ECD services. Through a rich and diverse set of training programmes, the Early Learning Foundation Montessori Teacher Training adopts the following mission:
· To enable the holistic development of the young child through adult development.
· To improve the quality of education and care in existing schools.
· To improve services to parents, NGO's and organisations in the field of pre-school education.
Vrygrond is one of South Africa’s oldest and poorest informal settlements, about 25-30 kilometres from Cape Town Centre. Vrygrond houses over 42 000 men, woman and children. At last count, there were approximately 5000 children aged between 0-5 years. Healthcare, recreational and educational amenities are in short supply. This impoverished community has a high risk of AIDS, unemployment and substance abuse.
The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.
The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others.